As a front-end engineer at Nutshell, you’ll design, build, test, and improve the user interface of Nutshell’s web application. Nutshell prides itself on making easy-to-use sales and marketing software with a delightful user experience. And the frontend of our application is the core of that experience.
You’ll be collaborating with our product team of engineers and designers to turn high fidelity mockups and prototypes into reality, as well as modernizing and refining existing interfaces. This means helping to build out Nutshell’s component library, and working with our team of engineers to create Nutshell’s first email marketing platform. We’re on a mission to help our customers send thousands of beautifully crafted marketing emails to their customers with advanced reporting capabilities and a sleek design.
Our small team relies on the ability to move and deploy quickly, so communication is key to success in this role.
Who you are
You love building UIs, and take pride in making them look good, and function better. You sweat the details, but know how to balance perfect code with calling something “complete” and putting it in the customer’s hands.
You see both the pixels and the entire picture, you seek feedback continuously, and you balance perfectly-crafted code with shipping features to our customers. You have a high bar of quality and a keen eye for detail. You’re passionate about front-end technologies, and you understand how to create scalable and consistent interfaces.
You’re a good communicator who values the input of others and knows when to pull in a second opinion to get unblocked.
- Collaborate at each stage of software development to understand our customers, their challenges, and ultimately design large parts of how a problem will be solved
- Participate in peer code review
- Work to migrate legacy parts of the Nutshell application to newer technologies like React and GraphQL
- Collaborate with our design team to understand tradeoffs between the teams
- Fix UI and UX bugs reported by our customers in both new and existing parts of our web application
- Help build out Nutshell’s React component library
- Take high-fidelity mockups and prototypes and turn them into code
- Experience working with modern web technologies like React
- A bias for action, iteration, and continuous improvement
- Comfort taking high fidelity prototypes and turning them into code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an enthusiasm for teamwork
- A “yes-and” approach to problem-solving
Nice to have
- Experience working in sales or with general productivity software (e.g., project management tools). We need to understand our customers, their problems, and to know the bad software so that our product is a breath of fresh air.
- Any experience working with frontend tooling such as: Webpack, Flow, ESLint, StorybookJS, CSS Modules, and React Native
You’ll report to Engineering Lead, Chris Cain and work as a peer to designers and engineers to form a cohesive, customer-centric product team. Nutshell has a unique culture of hiring engineers with experience and passion in software design. We do this deliberately, and you’ll find yourself working closely with designers in every phase of the software lifecycle, from market research to development to delivery.
The design and experience of our product is a team effort, with no one individual carrying full responsibility or authority for the finished experience. Your job is to capture the ideas, criticisms, questions, and contributions of our team and to steer them into a working product that effortlessly helps businesses grow.
So. Know anybody who fits the job?
5 reasons to make Nutshell your new home (figuratively speaking, of course)
#1 We need people who can make an impact
Nutshell is a growth-stage business with very ambitious goals. If you never back down from a challenge, we want you.
#2 We’re solving meaningful problems in innovative ways
Know any cool small businesses? We know (and love) thousands of them! That’s why we’re designing, building, marketing, and supporting cutting-edge software that helps small businesses thrive.
#3 We’re proud to support the Ann Arbor community
#4 We work in the heart of the action
Nutshell’s modern, energetic office in downtown Ann Arbor is within walking distance of everything, and loaded with all the resources our team needs to create amazing things.
#5 We’ll treat you right
Nutshell offers established-company perks (competitive compensation, health benefits, 401(k) matching, paid parental leave, family-friendly outings, and an experienced leadership team), plus all the trappings of a startup (offsites in northern Michigan, impromptu happy hours, an office book club, and desks that go up AND down).
This posting is for a position in our Ann Arbor, Michigan office.
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!